Monday, January 14, 2008

My host mom admits she is very spontaneous

Unfortunately for me, she will often call me a half hour before doing something to see if I want to come along, such as hiking, movies, or skiing. Unfortunately whenever she calls, I am busy sleeping (usually the case) or in the middle of something else. Finally I asked her to kind of warn me of when she might be spontaneous in the future so that I could be prepared/awake. She had warned me last night that she would call me today at 11 am. At 10am, my cell phone vibrates off the table and crashes into a bunch of pieces. Putting my cell phone back together was truly a great way to start the morning. It ended up being my host mom telling me she was coming to pick me up in an hour to go skiing. Dead tired from our previous evening’s activities involving ping pong balls and disturbingly dirty plastic cups, I convince myself to go and hastily throw on my ski clothes: long underwear, ski pants, and jacket. She picks me up and we run out and go skiing which is basically 3 runs then 3 hours at an Alm or restraint lodge thing in the middle of the run with her friends.

After she invited me and the friends we met over to her house for coffee. I agreed to come even though I have a lot of stuff to do. A few hours later, after her friends leave, I look at my host mom to grab her keys and take me back. Instead, she grabs her Robbie Williams Concert DVD and pops it in and asks me to sit down. If you are unfamiliar, Robbie Williams is one of the most famous British pop stars out there now but no one in America has heard of him even though all of Europe, especially my host mom is obsessed. For the next two hours I sat through my host mom snapping her fingers and singing along to the music. He was a decent performer the music was catchy but it got a little ridiculous. When the concert ended, she started preparing dinner, I guess I’m staying over for dinner now. I wasn’t complaining, I didn’t really have anything to eat back at the dorm anyways. After dinner then I guess it was time to watch Der Bourne Identität which they had never seen before. Mind you, unprepared for this 12 hour day with my family, all I am wearing this whole time is my loud swishy ski pants and my awkwardly tight fitting long underwear top. By the time it was 9:30 I felt like it was late enough for me to leave and I suggested I could take the bus but they insisted to take me. By the time I got back to the room I was so tired, I crashed and got no work done.

Little did I know that “picking you up for skiing” was hostfamilyish for “kidnapping you for 12 hours” I suppose all kidnappers rely on spontaneity.